Although it is true that the gallery is in parts an old building and a sensitive location, this hasn’t stopped us accommodating feature films, fashion shoots, dance sequences and many other smaller TV dramas and documentaries. Over the last few years our filming projects have become larger and more diverse. We can cater for a small two person crew through to a full feature film and all the equipment and cast that come with it.
We are a very film friendly site. The mix of architectural styles and the wealth of facilities offered have created a building that can be used for a variety of projects. We have previously appeared in Venus by Roger Michell and the popular re-make of St Trinian’s in 2007.
Recent filming at the Gallery, includes the last two James Bond films ‘Skyfall’ and 'Spectre'
, the Tom Cruise film ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ and the forthcoming 'Wonder Woman' from Warner Bros.
Recent TV dramas include, Downton Abbey (ITV), Mr Selfridge (ITV), and Spooks (BBC1).
- Internal filming can only take place outside opening hours:
ie: before 10:00 and after 18:00
except on a Friday when there is late opening until 21:00
- Filming from the roof can take place throughout the day as this does not impede the public.
- The roof areas are available from 08:00 to 18:00 (with the possibility of an extension)
- Filming from the Portico steps or on the main porch can be arranged at any time outside opening hours. During opening hours it may be possible and will be assessed on a case by case basis.
- Access to the building is through a loading bay in Whitcomb Street to the side of the Sainsbury Wing.
- Crews can pull into the bays and unload equipment which can then be packed onto trolleys and taken to the specific floor via a freight lift.
Unfortunately we cannot offer parking at the moment, however there is an NCP car park in Whitcomb St, just behind the Sainsbury Wing.
Commercial documentary filming inside the gallery starts at £750 for the first hour and £500 for any additional hours (for a small group of up to 5 people) - additional security costs are dependent on the size of crew/cast and equipment used.
External areas (Jubilee Walk and Grass verge) starts at £500 per hour.
Roof access starts from £500 per hour - depending on the size of crew.
Portico access (subject to security approval) starts at £500 per hour plus additional security charge.